Sunday 5 October 2014

Roasted Prosciutto-Wrapped Pork Tenderloin with Squash and Apricots


Sundays seem like the most appropriate day to cook a roast. My mom says that when she was growing up, that was all they ever had on a Sunday. Sunday was roast day. I am partaking in this Sunday tradition!

These photos are nothing to be proud of, however this dish certainly was! So I must include the recipe. It is rare that we have all the ingredients for this dish in our house at one time... but we did! So OBVIOUSLY I had to make it.

This recipe is from the ever brilliant and talented Chef Lynn Crawford, whose recipes are almost always a huge success with me :) In fact, I think I have yet to be disappointed!


The flavours of this roast are quite lovely together! The squash and onions caramelize around the edges, the fruit adds a lovely burst of sweet which I crave. The rosemary just kicks your tastebuds into flavour town. And prosciutto? I'M SOLD! As my dad says, "Pork wrapped in pork! Can I have mine with bacon?" I like the way you think, Dad.

Roasted Prosciutto-wrapped Pork Tenderloin with Squash and Apricots

  • 1 1/2 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced
  • 1 small onion, cut into chunks
  • 1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 1 sprig fresh rosemary
  • 1 tbsp butter, melted
  • 1 pork tenderloin
  • 2-3 slices of prosciutto
  • 1-2 tbsp olive oil
Preheat oven to 375F

In a roasting pan, toss together the squash, onion, apricots, raisins, rosemary and butter. sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper. Set aside.

Heat a large pan over medium-high heat, and heat the olive oil. Season tenderloin well with salt and pepper. When oil and pan are both hot, sear the pork briefly on all sides just to brown. Set it aside for a few minutes to cool a bit.

Wrap the prosciutto slices around the pork tenderloin, then place it on top of the squash and dried fruit mixture in the roasting pan. Roast for about 25-30 minutes, until an instant read meat thermometer registers 160F. Let rest about 10 minutes before slicing.

I enjoyed this on a Sunday evening in October with my mom and dad, with brown rice, whilst listening to Bon Iver and discussing potential halloween costume ideas. 

XO Lari

No comments:

Post a Comment