Monday 8 October 2012

Black Bean and Corn Quinoa

A few weeks ago I had the house to myself.
Dining Solo.
Do not think of it as a lonely thing...
More like: I get to cook WHATEVA I WANT!
I went with a Mexican fiesta of quinoa.
It was a good decision.
As noted from this previous post, I am currently borrowing my Aunt's Quinoa cook book, and this was the first recipe I tried from it! Unfortunately I was out of some ingredients like avocado and cilantro which would have made this even better. But even with just the beans, corn and tomatoes it was quite the delish dish.
So yes, I was cilantro-less... but when I was taking photos, the dish was lacking that pretty green finishing touch! So I put on parsley... I KNOW, how un-mexican of me :( but it just looks better this way. After all this, my dinner was a little cooler than usually preferred, but hey now I know this tastes good cold too. Ah, the life of a food blogger I suppose, hehehe

Black Bean and Corn Quinoa
Recipe adapted from this book.
Notes: I was eating this by myself... so if you are making this for a meal for more than just you, perhaps doubling it would be best!

  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
  • 1/4 cup salsa
  • 1/8 tsp chili powder
  • 1/8 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/8 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 cup diced tomato
  • 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/4 cup cooked corn kernels (I used canned)
  • 1/4 cup greek yogurt
  • 1/2 tsp fresh lime juice
  • grated cheddar cheese for topping
  1. Bring the water and quinoa to a boil in a small saucepan. Cover, reduce to a simmer and let cook for about 10 minutes. Turn off the heat, keep the covered saucepan on the burner for 5-6 more minutes. Fluff quinoa with a fork
  2. In a medium bowl, stir to combine the salsa, chili powder, coriander, cumin, tomato, beans and corn.
  3. In a small bowl combine the greek yogurt and lime juice. Set aside.
  4. Stir the cooked quinoa in with the salsa-tomato-bean-corn situation.
  5. Serving time! In your desired eating dish, place some of the quinoa mix and top with the lime-yogurt and some grated cheese. Garnish with cilantro if you have some!
Fun note! This quinoa mixture is awesome for making new dishes with the leftovers. Add some lettuce and turn it into a lovely salad. Throw it into a tortilla with cheese for a Southwestern-Quinoa-Quesadilla. Or one of my favies: heat up a corn tortilla, top with quinoa mix, a fried egg, and grated cheese. YUM.
So many delish dishes.

Happy Quinoa-ing
<3 Lari


No comments:

Post a Comment