Wednesday 3 October 2012

Applesuace Oatmeal Cookies with Maple Glaze

A little while ago I made a sort of "to-do" list of things I wanted to bake. GUESS WHAT I actually made one of them! (actually, so far I have made 3! Life is great. Here is the first)

I made Martha's Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies... and I only have the iPhone photo to prove it. This is usually the case when something is absolutely too delicious and gets gobbled up before I have time to set up a proper shot. I ain't complaining though, these babies are WORTH IT.


When I first saw this recipe I was intrigued by how Autumny it sounded (my new word). I knew they would be a perfect cookie for the fall season.

Fun Fact! Putting applesauce in cookies is no new trick, people often use it to replace some of the butter for a healthier cookie. This was the first time I have used applesauce in cookies, and I loved it! It makes your cookies super moist as well. Even though these cookies have no chocolate whatsoever in them, I found them to be amazingly delish. A definite addition to my cookie repertoire :)

Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies with Maple Glaze
Recipe adapted from Martha

*Notes* When I made these, I only glazed half of my cookies, as my mother says she prefers them un-glazed. They are certainly healthier this way... and totally acceptable for breakfast :)
I also added a lot more icing sugar to the glaze because it was too liquid at first. I noticed this worked well for a day or two but after that, the glaze became very firm... so perhaps a medium amount of icing sugar would be best next time.

To make the cookies you will need:
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  1. Mix the melted butter and both sugars in an electric mixer until combined. Add the egg and applesauce and mix until blended. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
  2. Use spoons to drop cookie dough onto parchment or silpat lined baking sheets. The cookies do spread in the oven, so keep that in mind.
  3. Bake in a 350 (325 for me!) oven for 13 ish minutes until cookies are set and slightly golden. Let cool for about 5 minutes on the sheet, then completely on wire racks
Maple Glaze: Warning... recipe may need to be adjusted! Depending on the climate, and your glazey-preferences. Don't take this all too seriously, if it's too watery, add more powdered sugar. If it is too thick, add a little milk or water. Tadaa! You're a chef now.
*Note* I halved the original glaze recipe and still ended up with lots left over

  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 1/2 tbsp milk or water
  1. Whisk together sugar, syrup and milk. Drizzle over your cooled cookies and let set!
  2. INDULGE! Ideally with a glass of milk.
Happy Baking!
<3 Lari


No comments:

Post a Comment