Wednesday 24 July 2013

Blueberry Lemon Scones




"You can't be that kid at the top of the 

waterslide, overthinking it.

You have to go down the chute."

-Tina Fey

I have been saying this to myself a lot lately. I tend to sometimes (ALL THE TIME) overthink small details and drive myself (and others) a little crazy.

For instance it took me way too long to make up my mind whether I should make blueberry scones with lemon, or blueberry scones with almonds.

Sometimes the difference between lemons and almonds is a really big deal guys.




But like the wise Tina Fey reminds me, you have to go down the chute. So I just threw caution and lemon zest to the wind and went down the Blueberry Lemon chute.

And why was I ever doubtful!? Blueberry and lemon are like two really good friends that people like me tend to forget about when all they can think about is chocolate. But I didn't even add chocolate to this recipe! I kept things classy and classic, and the result was dang awesome. Proud moment.


photo.JPG

Fresh blueberries and fresh lemons. It's hard to go wrong! I made six scones, plus one baby scone. That baby one totally has my name on it.

Stop overthinking things and go down the chute. Make scones with the bounty of blueberries sitting in your fridge. Make them for you and your mom before you go to work. Eat them warm with butter and serve with milky tea. Enjoy it.

Because Tina Fey and I told you to.


Blueberry Lemon Scones
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart
(I halved the recipe to make just a small batch, but it can be easily doubled. Unbaked scones can be frozen and saved in the freezer to bake up when you want them!)

Makes about 6 small scones
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
  • 1/2 tbsp baking powder
  • scant 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 tbsp (1.5 oz) cold butter, cut into cubes
  • 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
  • 1/2 tsp lemon zest (about 1/2 lemon)
  • 1/6 cup almond milk (or any other milk if you prefer)
  • 1 egg
  • Cream for brushing (optional)
  • Turbinado sugar for sprinkling (optional)
Preheat oven to 400 (375 for my hot oven) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Use your fingers to mix in the butter with the flour mixture. You don't want to blend the two together completely, just until the butter is in pea sized clumps. This equals flakyness!

Gently fold in the blueberries. In another bowl, whisk the egg into the almond milk. Combine the wet and the dry until they form a dough, you may need to knead it a bit. Need to knead, ha. (Sorry)

Gently roll out dough (don't flatten your butter too much!) onto a lightly floured surface. Use a knife or cookie cutter to cut out your scones. I used a small glass dipped in flour to cut out round scones.

Place on prepared baking tray. Brush the tops with a good amount of cream, then sprinkle with turbinado sugar if desired. Bake for about 20 minutes, until golden brown on top.

Make a pot of tea and serve up some scones, warm from the oven, with butter. Yes.

Warm food straight from the oven with melty butter is probably one of the most magical moments in life. Yes, I am easily pleased.

<3 Lari

PS: Have strawberries instead of blueberries? Make these Strawberries and Cream Scones instead! Equally awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment