Monday 30 July 2012

Sweet Strawberry Salsa in the Summertime


A week or so ago I spoke of my family's homemade version of Salsa Fest, in which we sampled a variety of salsas. Most of these salsas made their way into our mouths via tortilla chips, the common vehicle for this delish dish. However, my dessert loving self thought, "Why stop at savory?" and carried the salsa fun into the dessert course!

When I found out that it was Salsa Fest and decided that I MUST have a salsa party of my own, I immediately paroozed the internet for some salsa inspiration.  I am not a huge lover of spicy foods (something I am currently working on building a tolerance for), so when I found this recipe by Michael Smith for a sweet version of this usually spicy condiment I thought, "I can handle this."

And who can't handle Sweet Strawberry Salsa? Served on vanilla ice cream. I know, I know, part of me thought that salsa on ice cream would be kind of weird... but so many things that you think would be weird turn out to be THE BEST THINGS EVER. (i.e. salted caramel, french toast+syrup+peanut butter, tea, sudoku)

So try it. And love it. And eat it outside because it is summer and that is what you do. 
I pretty much followed the recipe (with a small adaptation) but it would be neat to try it with other fruit either replacing or added along with the strawberries. Peaches, mangoes, kiwi... yum.



Sweet Strawberry Salsa in the Summertime
(I like alliteration...)

  • 12 strawberries rinsed, hulled and chopped into pieces
  • zest and juice of 1 lime
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
  • 2 tbsp chopped mint
  • 1/4 cup shredded coconut (I used sweetened but unsweetened would be totally cool too)
Okay this is the hard part: Toss everything in a bowl.
DONE.

Serve it over vanilla ice cream, and be surprised at how great salsa can be as a dessert. You can count on me to find a way to turn anything into dessert form. As my big bro would say, are you a Mexican, or a Mexican't?

XO Lari



No comments:

Post a Comment