Wednesday 5 September 2012

Peach and Berries Cobbler-Cake

So, if you happened read this older post, you will recall Anna Olson's monthly Bake Off contest on www.foodnetwork.ca. And you may know how much I love this contest, not only because it gives me another excuse to bake, but because last month... I WON!! I know, I cannot believe it. I still can't. But it is true, and I won my very own KITCHEN AID MIXER... Jaw to the floor. Holy cow I am so stoked about life.

Any who... even though I have already won, I really enjoy participating in the bake off, so I will continue to try out the recipes and post them! This is the picture I sent in along with my description for The August Bake Off: Peach and Berry Cobbler!
Peach Cobbler is the perfect August dessert! And adding berries to it just makes life more exciting. I must say, I used a rather tall 8 cup baking dish, so the cobbler turned into more of a cobbler cake... But I think that was a Happy Mistake.
Another problem I ran into was that the peaches we had bought we SO not ripe, but we had to make do with them because our guests were arriving too soon to buy more! Well great news, turns out even unripe peaches magically transform into tender delicious ones when baked into a cobbler.
I chose to serve this cobbler with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and homemade butterscotch sauce, to a few friends and family members on our back candle-lit-porch in the evening... Ah, that is how summer should be. Thanks Anna! My dessert night was a success! (after everyone left, I helped myself to a
second bowl...) :)

Happy Baking!

Peach and Berries Cobbler-Cake
Recipe adapted* from Anna Olson
(*You could say I adapted it... or you could say that I made some happy mistakes along the way which led this to not become the exact recipe that she used... I'm gonna go with adapted.)
  • 6 cups fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
  • 1 cup fresh raspberries
  • 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
  • 3 tbsp sugar
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
Toss sliced peaches, raspberries and blueberries with the sugar and cinnamon and put into an 8 cup baking dish. (the deeper your dish, the more cake-like this cobbler will become. This is what happened to me and it worked... but not what the original recipe looks like!)

  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 6 tbsp melted butter
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tbsp cornmeal
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Whisk eggs, milk and sugar in a bowl. Whisk in milk. Sift the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt over the wet ingredients and stir to combine. Dollop this mixture over the peaches and berries. Mine ended up completely covering the fruit, which turned out to be okay! But Anna tells you to leave spaces for the fruit to peak through. Again, depends on your baking dish. Sprinkle a little bit of cinnamon-sugar over the cobbler and pop it into a 375 oven (350 for me!)The recipe says to bake for 35-45 minutes... mine took nearly double that... but just keep an eye on it! Every oven is "special and unique" in its own little way.
=)
Serve with Vanilla ice cream and butterscotch sauce.

<3 Lari








No comments:

Post a Comment