Saturday 15 September 2012

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

IT'S AUTUMN AND I'M STOKED
GUYS. It's Autumn! I'm embracing it. Yes, I will miss summer and all it's wonderful fresh fruit, but Autumn is probably my favourite time of year. (or at least the beginning when the leaves are pretty... when it gets too brown, not so much.)
I love this time of year because of:
  • PUMPKIN SPICE EVERYTHING (especially lattes)
  • big comfy sweaters
  • colours like maroon, burnt orange, mustard yellow
  • tights and socks
  • lots of layers and scarves
  • everything is just so darn beautiful
  • apples, pumpkins and other squashes, cinnamon, warm beverages, pies, pears, plums etc etc etc.
Life just feels cozier.


You know what else feels cozy? Pumpkin muffins.
Make it even more cozier by adding (many) chocolate chips. Thank you Autumn, you rock.


Some notes on these: I am on the search for my favourite pumpkin muffin recipe, as I have not made them very many times at all. I tried this recipe, and they are good... but I don't know if they are the winning batch just yet. I will be trying more recipes until I find THE ONE! It's a tough job, but somebody must do it :)

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
Recipe Adapted from here
(I halved the original recipe, and ended up with 11 muffins)
Here's what I did:
  • 1/2 all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/8 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tbsp molasses
  • 2 tbsp canola oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp buttermilk*
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I started with 1/4cup, which probably would have been fine but my chocoholic self peer pressured me to put more in...)
*Don't have buttermilk on hand? Me neither. So I make it! It is super easy: For every cup of regular milk, add about 1 tbsp lemon juice or white vinegar. Stir, and let sit for a minute or so. The milk will look gross! But this is normal. Use this ratio for any other recipes that require buttermilk.

In a bowl, whisk together the two flours, baking soda, salt, and spices.
In the bowl of a mixer, combine the brown sugar, molasses, oil and egg. Next mix in the pumpkin, then the vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture in two additions, alternating with the buttermilk. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Divide the batter into paper lined muffin tins and bake at 400 (375 for hot ovens) for about 18 to 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Let cool a bit...
Then enjoy one of the best moments about this awesome season!

Great for a snack on the road, or with a warm mug of coffee.

Happy Pumpkining!
(I hope to bring many a pumpkin recipe to the table this year)
<3 Lari

No comments:

Post a Comment