Sunday 5 August 2012

Kettlecorn Bars


My first attempt at making popcorn balls! Which, by the way, didn't really work out so I made popcorn bars. I found out that it does not matter what shape it is, these are so good that I will eat them in whatever form they come. Also, breaking rules makes you feel rebellious.


This summer I had the experience of eating my first popcorn ball. It was underwhelming. Not bad or anything, but it was just so mediocre for something that has such potential! These, however simple they are, live up to that potential.


I have just recently discovered the AWESOMENESS of "Cowboy Popcorn"'s Kettlecorn which is a rare treat as they only have booths that pop up at certain festivals. Lucky for me, they had a booth at Folk Fest this year and I took full advantage! I bought the biggest bag I could and ate nearly all of it that night. AND IT WAS SO GRAND. However I showed some restraint and took some leftovers home with me. Thinking about my leftover kettlecorn... and also thinking of my leftover homemade marshmallows sitting on my counter that needed to be eaten...

I made these beauties! Using kettlecorn and home-made marshmallows really upped the anti (what does that even mean?) on these popcorn bars. I understand however that not everyone, including me, may have kettlecorn and home-made marshmallows just chillin waiting to be used up all the time. But the good news is that you can make these with any popcorn, and any marshmallows. Actually, you don't even have to use popcorn. You could use cereal! The classic and obvious choice would be Rice Krispies... but thinking outside the Rice Krispies box I have been dreaming up some different bars/square recipes to try someday:
Reese's cereal, CocoPuff cereal... heck any puffed cereal would be delish. But back to the real deal...



Kettlecorn! These are super fast and easy to make. So no excuses. If you are feeling fancy, throwing in some chocolates or nuts would probably be nothing short of scrumptious. Mix it up!

Kettlecorn Bars
  • 3 tbsp butter
  • 10 oz marshmallows
  • 6 cups kettle corn
Avec Microwave: In a large microwave friendly dish, place the butter and marshmallows. Microwave until the marshmallows have melted (mine took about 30 seconds) and stir to combine the marshmallows with the butter.

Sans Microwave: Combine the marshmallows and butter in a large pot and let them melt together over medium low heat.

Next, add in your kettlecorn. Or Rice Krispies. Or Reese's cereal. Or whatever you happen to have on hand.

Pretty simple huh? 

Just press your mixture into a pan lined with parchment (these bad boys are seriously sticky before they are set, just a warning). Pop them in the fridge to set up, cut into bars and share with your family and friends.

<3 Lari


No comments:

Post a Comment